It is becoming more and more known that certain chemicals affect a big part of the world population in an undesirable way. There have been many scientific studies that have shown a link between chemicals and some mental disorders labeled as autism or ADHD.
An example would be the research published in The Lancet by researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS). They proved that many industrial chemicals, including fluoride, are lowering IQ in children and can cause autism and other mental disorders, as well as many other serious health diseases.
The experts named around 12 of these neurotoxins that can be found in our environment, clothing, furniture, certain food and drinks, such as: manganese, fluoride, chlorpyrifos, mercury, lead, ethanol, arsenic, toluene, DDT/DDE etc.
A study in last year’s British Medical Journal estimated that perhaps 75% of most cancers are caused by environmental and lifestyle factors, including exposure to these chemicals.
Another report, this one by the Columbia University School of Public Health, estimated that 95% of cancer is caused by diet and environmental toxicity.
Some of the short- and long-term effects of these toxins include:
- Neurological disorders (Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, depression, attention deficit disorder, schizophrenia, etc.)
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Hormonal imbalances
- Enzyme dysfunction
- Altered metabolism
- Reproductive disorders
- Muscle and vision problems
- Immune system depression
- Endocrine disorders
- Chronic viral infections
- Less ability to tolerate/handle stress
But the good news is there is always a way of healing the undesirable effects of these chemicals and the remedies can be found, as in most cases, in nature.
- Spirulina, Chlorella, Cilantro, Wheatgrass and Garlic – These are the top 5 foods that will help you detoxify of heavy metals and toxins. There are many ways you can prepare these, as a tonic or a smoothie or just take them as they are daily. You can find online many recipes that include these incredible foods. My advice would be combining them for the best results. Each have a role for specific body parts, so mixing them would ensure that our whole body is being cleared. Detoxifying doesn’t take a day or two, don’t be dissappointed if you are not seeing results quickly. Our bodies have been heavily affected by toxic chemicals, it can take up to two or three months to get them out of our system, so we need to be committed to this process. Then we have to maintain our body as free of toxic chemicals as we can following the next steps.
- Buy and eat as many organic foods as possible – In study after study, research from independent organizations consistently shows organic food is higher in nutrients than traditional foods. Research shows that organic produce is higher in vitamin C, antioxidants, and the minerals calcium, iron, chromium, and magnesium. On top of that, they are free of neurotoxins(most neurotoxins are considered pesticides). Eighteen percent of all genetically-modified seeds (and therefore foods that grow from them) are engineered to produce their own pesticides. Research shows that these seeds may continue producing pesticides inside your body once you’ve eaten the food grown from them. Try and eat at least one organic meal a day. This, alone, will make a difference. People say organic food is more expensive than the traditional food and they don’t even consider switching to it for that reason, but with a bit of effort and research, you can prepare organic meals easily with the amount of money you would pay for traditional meals. I think it’s worth giving it a shot. Your health is more important than money.
- Avoid processed foods for the obvious reasons – It’s processed with chemicals. Most processed foods are high in sugar and high fructose corn syrup. People aren’t putting massive amounts of sugar on top of their coffee or cereal, the unhealthy amounts come from processed foods. They are also loaded with artificial chemicals, including flavorants, texturants, colorants and preservatives.
- Switch over to natural brands – Brands of toiletries, toothpastes, antiperspirants, cleaning products, shampoo, cosmetics, air fresheners etc. These days, there are so many alternatives! You just have to do some research and find out which companies use natural ingredients and replace the old products with natural ones. For example, instead of using Airwick as a freshener, you can use essential oils, which smell a lot nicer too.
- Drink more water and tea
A glass of water with lemon in the morning re-hydrates the system and promotes digestion, which will help the flow of waste out of your body. Tea is also a great way to facilitate that. Not only is tea full of antioxidants, it hydrates you (especially if it’s herbal) and fills you up,” says Ashley Karr, a research psychologist and wellness coach. “This means you will be less likely to overeat or eat the wrong things!”
- Exercise as much as you can – You literally sweat the toxins out of your body. The skin is our largest organ. Often when the other detoxifying organs are compromised, toxins will begin to come through the skin, showing up as acne, rashes, blemishes, pimples or sores. Exercise helps the body’s organs of elimination to function optimally simply by getting them going. Moving the body helps to circulate both blood and lymph. The more they circulate, the more the liver and lymph nodes can do the job of cleansing and purifying the blood and lymph.The digestive system works well and more regularly with consistent exercise. When you exercise you breathe deeply with your lungs. The oxygen that you breathe in travels though the blood to the brain and muscles. The lungs increase their capacity as the heart muscle grows stronger, and they produce and give off carbon dioxide as a waste product of aerobic exercise. The skin is cleansed from the inside out by the cleansing process of perspiration. Many toxins can be eliminated through the skin by sweating.
Following these steps will bring a lot of benefits on the long term and you will feel a big difference once you get rid of accumulated chemicals.
Thank you for reading,
Love and Light,