ONE: The Movie is an independent documentary that surveys beliefs on the meaning of life, culminating with the view that “we are all one”. The movie was created and directed by Michigan filmmakers Scott Carter, Ward M. Powers and Diane Powers, and featured interviews with Deepak Chopra, Robert Thurman, Thich Nhat Hanh, Jaggi Vasudev, and others.
The filmmakers asked twenty questions of religious and spiritual teachers as well as artists, authors, atheists, and people on the street. The answers are accompanied by the image of a “nameless traveler” who has grown weary with the suffering and negativity of the world, and who begins a search for meaning and truth. The documentary covers a range of spiritual and philosophical themes such as the source of fear, enlightenment, spirit, the meaning of life, compassion, life after death, diversity, the nature of God andHeaven, and religion (including Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sufism, Taoism, New Age, New Thought Spirituality, Hare Krishna, Native American spirituality,Catholicism, Protestantism, and Christian fundamentalism). ONE also explores contemporary themes of war, conflict, terrorism, peace, global change, social responsibility, and environmental concerns. Prior to editing the movie, the filmmakers consulted with American philosopher Ken Wilber, founder of the Integral Institute.
The 20 questions asked of participants were:
- Why is there poverty and suffering in the world?
- What is the relationship between science and religion?
- Why are so many people depressed?
- What are we all so afraid of?
- When is war justifiable?
- How would God want us to respond to aggression and terrorism?
- How does one obtain true peace?
- What does it mean to live in the present moment?
- What is our greatest distraction?
- Is current religion serving its purpose?
- What happens to you after you die?
- Describe heaven and how to get there?
- What is the meaning of life?
- Describe God?
- What is the greatest quality humans possess?
- What is it that prevents people from living to their full potential?
- Non-verbally, by motion or gesture only, act out what you believe to be the current condition of the world.
- What is your one wish for the world?
- What is wisdom and how do we gain it?
- Are we all One?
Thank you for watching and reading,
Love and Light,